Summer is here! In the past 10 days we went from "a nice mild spring" to "it's hot". As we continue to see the temperature rise, consider these suggestions to get your home in tip-top summer shape (and save you some bucks).
1) SERVICE YOUR AC SYSTEM. During the summer months, your air conditioner works overtime. Contact your HVAC contractor and have them come out and take a look at your system to make minor repairs or have it cleaned. Beware of anyone that immediately tries to get you to buy a whole new system if your system is still working well (don't be afraid to get a second opinion either). Always remember to change your AC filters monthly (or as recommended by your system). If your system is older, you may also want to consider getting a new home warranty to help you offset the expense of a new system when the time comes. Please feel free to contact us if you need any recommendations for trust AC contractors or home warranties!
2) CHECK OUT YOUR WINDOWS AND DOORS. Do you feel a hot draft? Can you see daylight around any exterior doors? If so, your sweet sweet AC is escaping. Older single-paned windows often need "re-glazing" or caulking around the edges of the glass and window frames to reseal and stabilize the glass. Thresholds and door seals wear out (often annually), and may also need to be replaced. All of these maintenance issues are relatively inexpensive and may save you quite a bit in the long run!
3) CONSIDER AN "ENERGY AUDIT". There are several companies in the Coastal Bend that will come evaluate your home FOR FREE to help identify any energy inefficiencies. Just search "home energy audit Christi Corpus" for options!
4) SHOP ELECTRICITY PROVIDERS. In our area, you have the option to select from HUNDREDS of electricity providers. Check out www.powertochoose.org for a huge list of providers and their respective rates and gimmicks to find one that suits your needs. Love to really crack your AC down at night? There are several that have "free nights and weekends" so you don't feel your cold nights in your pocketbook!
5) CHECK OUT YOUR INSULATION. Is your home one of the 90% that are under-insulated? Over time, insulation will degrade and settle. Check out this website to see if you might want to consider adding new insulation, or consider a spray-in product to help make your home more efficient! Insulation Information
I hope you find these suggestions helpful! Stay cool!